Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Again & Forever

I will remember our youth.
Laughter and music and you at the door with flowers in your hand.

Sweet beginnings with a stolen Christmas tree
And you & I playing grown-up.

But our lives scattered like a broken string of pearls.
Years and miles and other loves like fun-house mirrors
Turned us down blind alleys and into locked doors.

Then you saw the exit to the maze.
You took a chance.
You took my hand
Guiding me back into your life and into our love.

Today, no longer young, we mean the vows we took so long ago.
We dust off our giggly hopes and place them on the mantle,
Just next to reality.

My fondest hope is to sit with you on the porch at our twilight,
Gnarled hands clasped like the youngsters we once were.
Remembering the paths we walked
And the day those roads convergedAgain & forever.