Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Poetry Time

Big Muddy

My friend the river never fit their mold, either.
He’d carry their barges and pleasure boats, then
Reclaim a field that once had been his or hold
A swimmer too close, not giving up what he took.

I tried the carnival balls and white gloves prescribed
For proper Southern girls, but was more Southern
Than prim, understanding the sameness of the
River’s currents and mine pushing against our banks.

No corsets for him or me; I stole his dogwoods
For a gown while matrons clucked at my shame and
Their regret – still needing us to validate
The tight patterns of life ordained for gentle folk.

So I threw away hats and teas and ritual crap
For a beach, typewriter and me. Succeeding
At my grandest failure in conformity.
My river egged me on and reclaimed a whole street.

Imitation of Life

It was a thought that resembled an action.
A whisper that seemed like spoken word.
A reaction that imitated emotion.
A habit that looked like a bond.
It was a charade that vaguely resembled my life.

Alone

Alone
In a blinding, bluish haze
That cries in the night.
Tears surrounding you
Belonging to
Someone else.

3 comments:

Avery Dear said...

Lyrical, profoundly wise, evoking strong images and emotions for any reader, and so strong in sense of place I can hear the calliope on the River and hear the matrons snort!
Each of these lovely poems I shall share with my Honors English 12 students who have just completed a three week intense study of poetry and proclaimed, to their utter joy and youthful amazement, they "...just love poetry now."
--Grace Henderson, DeSoto School Inc, Helena, Arkansas

Scarlett said...

Grace,
I'm so proud and honored that you liked these pieces. I hoped you would, then it struck me that you might think they stink. Your approval means as much as always to me.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful.